- Support for teachers including classroom activities and information about early math teaching and learning, through easily accessible online training courses, with job-embedded assignments
- An accompanying workshop in instructional support (optional but recommended)
- Support for coaches via a certification package that includes a two-day workshop, online interaction, and materials and information specific to coaching teachers in early mathematics
- We designed a hybrid training model (online content and face-to-face interactions) to provide an affordable and effective alternative to the typical one-day trainings that are known to be ineffective
- We designed our trainings with teachers’ time in mind. Most of the work is job-embedded and takes place in the ordinary course of teacher’s work
- Teachers learn content in short videos and animations and then try the activities in their classroom, allowing them to internalize the important early math teaching concepts in an authentic setting
I am interested in
Learn about what we offer for Pre-K teaching staff:
- An online training course
- An (optional) Instructional support workshop
Learn how to support the most effective method for sustained improvement: coaching!
Certify your coaches to work with children in early math instruction
Learn about our innovative online course that supports teachers in how to implement Common Core state standards for K-1st mathematics
What teachers say
I thought the online course was wonderful, I loved having a month to complete activities but a suggestion to complete one lesson a week. The videos and activities were clearly laid out and user friendly. They were simply laid out and yet very informative. I have the activities slides saved and pull them up as a reference when I want to focus on a certain skill as a warm up or close to a lesson. I am recommending it to my staff.
I’ve found it helpful in terms of advancing their [teachers’] instruction to the ‘next level’ and coaching them into the kinds of concept development that we want to use. It’s also been helpful in giving them concrete examples of how to expand quality of feedback.
Our children responded positively! I cannot state that enough. All children want to feel successful when counting or showing the ones they are close to that they can say all of their numbers!
Having the EMILI instrument is useful in providing feedback after CLASS observations. It helps to show how teachers can take their instruction to the next level.
I would like to say that the activities are very easy, encouraging, motivating and practical for the different kinds of learners we as teachers find in classes. It’s helped to become a better teacher
Jenny Lerner has a master’s degree in Educational Technology with concentrations in Bilingual Education and Early Childhood. She has more than 30 years experience working for National, Regional, Migrant, and local Head Start programs. She is nationally known for her expertise in English Language Learners, Early Literacy, and Early Mathematics
Jeff Farmer has a Ph.D in mathematics and has done research in mathematics and mathematics education. He has been providing professional development in mathematics for 25 years, working with teachers at all levels (Pre-K to 16). He is Research Professor of Mathematics at the University of Denver
Alvaro Arias has a PhD in Mathematics and is Professor of Mathematics at the University of Denver. He does research in Pure Mathematics and Mathematics Education. He designs innovative educational software and serves as the coordinator of Kids Play Math
The KPM Team has benefited from the work of many programmers, artists, support staff and collaborators. They include Roberto Amaya, Ivan Zavala, Kostya Teterin, and Carlos Lara (programmers), Jose Cruz (staff support) and Professor Mario Lopez (collaborator)